Sunday, January 6, 2013

Remembering my mum

I am a new year baby. I jokingly say I was born during a huge new year's fire work bu in fact I am a c-section baby! Fourty years ago c-section was not very common in Kerala and it was a nightmare for mothers due to the lack of success in c-sections. 
I hear that this is the most common surgical procedure in American hospitals: one in every three babies in the U.S. come into the world by c-section! Some mothers do not like to undergo the long delivery pain! I have no comments about it, I am a man.
My aunties remember that my mum had long labour pain and the doctor found that child's position is abreech (buttocks down) and suggested an immediate abortion to save her life. She disagreed and begged doctor for a c- section. She really wanted to see her first child. It was a play with life! 
Everyone who was in the hospital started praying, there were no telephones and cellphones available like today to send prayer requests but by the grace of God, the surgery was successful!
To reveal gender of a child before birth is prohibited by law in India there fore my mum did not know that the baby in her womb is a male. In later conversations with mum, I found that she excepted a baby girl, beinv a professional tailor, she stiched many dresses for a baby girl. I think I gave her a little disappointment! 
Every time when I hear about abortion I remember about my mum who had all the moral justification to kill me especially that situation and time. Every time when I celebrate events in my life, I remember her who permitted me to live on this beautiful World. Every time I see a picture of an aborted child, I thank my mum. I would like to line up my mum's name with Saint Gianna Beretta Molla (October 4, 1922 – April 28, 1962) an Italian pediatrician, wife and mother who is best known for refusing both an abortion and a hysterectomy when she was pregnant with her fourth child, despite knowing that continuing with the pregnancy could result in her death. She was canonised as a saint of the Catholic Church in 2004. I do not know if I can make this comment as a religious, if I go to heaven and if I do not see my mum there, I do not want that heaven! I think my mum is smiling from heaven seeing I write this.

No comments: